10.27.2005

To be anonymous or not to be

I've been thinking lately about anonymity in my blog. Should I post pictures with faces? Should I announce my location? Should I advertise when I will be on vacation and leaving our home vulnerable? Should I post last names? For all of these questions I have answered no for now. I feel like if I expose these identifying facts that someone out there will think about taking advantage of it.

But then I run into a wall with my posts. If I leave out some details, it's okay, but sometimes they make the story interesting and more fun. And pictures with people in them are always more fun.

In my wanderings around other blogs, I've noticed different levels of anonymity. Some show pictures, last names, and locations. Some create false names for their acquaintances and never show pictures with faces. Some knitting blogs show pictures of just the torso with the completed sweater or scarf. It seems like the blogs geared towards more traffic tend to be more anonymous.

I guess for now I will stay as anonymous as seems reasonable. Does anybody have more thoughts about this subject?

No comments: