8.16.2005

Macy thought her rhino was dying

I have a funny story today about our cat, Macy. As I was sitting here reading some blogs, I heard Macy's "play with me" meow. She will sometimes meow and waltz into the room carrying a stuffed toy or string in her mouth. Two of her favorite stuffed toys are a catnip-filled flannel square with tassels, and a little rhino (or hippo, not really sure what you would call it). She usually comes in and drops the toy, sits down, and stares at me until I drop everything and throw the toy or dangle the string.

Today was different. I heard her meow, and it started out like usual, but it got quite insistent and then almost urgent, like life-threatening serious. I think, maybe she's trapped in something, or maybe her tail is caught in one of the various fans we have set up. So I run out to the other room and kneel down to where she's sitting looking at the rhino. I told her "I thought you were hurt or dying" and kind of gave her a look of love - "I'm glad you're okay", combined with a look of "don't do that again." But she doesn't look back with remorse for worrying me. Instead she looks between me and the rhino on the floor, and I finally see what she wants me to see - the stuffing was coming out of Rhino's back seam. I believe she was trying to tell me Rhino was dying, and that she couldn't play with a dead toy. The seam had been loose for several months, and I kept saying "maybe I should fix that." Even when my Mom was staying with us she said "maybe Grandma should fix that." Well, today I figured it had gone on long enough, so I told Macy "I will fix Rhino today." I just finished sewing up the seam and showed her the healed toy. She is now laying contently on her shelf in front of the window. Mom saved the day!

No comments: