2.20.2010

New family activity... weeding!

This morning the sun was out, so I decided to take advantage of it. I asked John if he wanted to play with Sam outside for a half hour while I weeded in the front yard. He said sure. We all got bundled up; it was sunny but it was cold; there was still frost on the cars! I got my trowel, knee pads and weed bucket from the shed, and handed a trowel to Sam. I started weeding with my trowel and Sam wanted to do the same. He tried to use his trowel but mostly dug with his hands. He kept trying to put little fistfuls of dirt into the bucket, but we said "no, put the green stuff in the bucket." (I didn't plant a single thing last year, except mums, so there are only weeds to take out.) Eventually Sam got the hang of it and really helped out quite a bit. John ended up weeding some too and handing the weeds to Sam to carry over to the bucket by me.

After awhile, Sam got a little whiny, so John and Sam walked down the road. John said Sam got about 3/4 of the way to the bridge, then John carried him on his shoulders the rest of the way. Sam was ready for his snack when he got back home! It was a fun morning, and it felt good when I realized that it doesn't really matter what we do as long as we do it together. I know; it sounds cheesy. But I love it!

1 comment:

creative side said...

Not cheesy. It is the definition of living. Wait till he sees his first worm. I'm eager to know what he says. It sounds like a fund day. That is what Dad and I were doing today. Mostly Bob, but I helped a little.